Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Flag pins are like comic book villains. No matter what happens, they just never frickin' DIE.

After 8 years of George 'FAILPATRIOT' Walker Bush staggering across the world stage like a drunken cowboy, starting fights that he couldn't possibly win and being one the greatest hypocrites regarding human rights, it is fantastic to have President like Obama. However, if there is something about the 44th Man o' the House that make me want to grind my teeth together until there's just gum, its his fashion sense.

Let's take a look at Obama's style. Here's his 2005 Senate portrait:
Here he is in Febuary 2008.
And here's his official Presidential portrait:What irritated me most about Bush's public image wasn't his 'ordinary guy' look and his bumbling comedy acts (both of which helps hide a twisted pandering to the far-right and his total disregard to human rights). It was his pathetic attempts to promote himself as a patriot by practically super gluing american flag to his attire. When Obama won, I hoped that such hollow symbols of patiotism would (as least temporarily) cease.
This isn't to say I mind flag pins, or pins of any kind; I don't. However, then they're put on display every time a person makes a public appearance (as both Pres. 43 and 44 have done and begun doing), it looks stupid. It looks tacky. It looks like they trying to overcompensate for a total lack of any patriotism. And in Obama's case, it looks even worse considering what he said on the issue.
"After a while, you start noticing people wearing a lapel pin, but not acting very patriotic. Not voting to provide veterans with resources that they need. Not voting to make sure that disability payments were coming out on time," he told a crowd in Independence, Iowa. "My attitude is that I'm less concerned about what you're wearing on your lapel than what's in your heart."

...

"I decided I won't wear that pin on my chest. Instead I'm going to try to tell the American people what I believe what will make this country great and hopefully that will be a testimony to my patriotism."
I may or may not be banging my head against the computer desk in consideration of the flag pin's forseeable future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I were in office, I'd refuse to wear a sign of patriotism on my lapel. Of course, the American brain wouldn't be able to cope with such a terrorist threat and I'd be promptly removed.