Sunday, August 31, 2008

Irritating tragedy with a silver lining

'Twas a dark day for this lowly private. Bad communications left me a week overdate for the latest Battle of Wellington. Hence, my arriving to find the Radical Women not there, and only the security officer to tell me that it was last week. Thankfully, it wasn't ALL totally bad. From the officer I learnt two things:
  1. There were about 15 pro-woman's autonomy protesters there.
  2. Very few fundies on the other side turned up.
Whoa...15 of us?!!1!? Where did they come from? (If you didn't read my last blog entry on the BOW, there were only 6 of us last time) To triple in numbers (roughly) would've been fantastic-a major moral boost for the fertility control clinic workers to know that so many people want to protect woman's rights and autonomy.

However, I am rather concerned by the lack of fundies who showed up. Fundies, for all their mindless ignorance and bigotry, are still very dedicated their causes. If they didn't show up today, then I have the suspicion that they've ambushed a similar clinic somewhere else, causing even more emotional anguish to women going through what would be the hardest decision of their lives.

Ah, well. 15 of us-that's just frickin' fantastic, even if I couldn't be there for it.

No comments: