Sunday, December 28, 2008

My spiritual journey.

First up-sorry for the constant lack of posts (although the previous post should have kept all readers epically busy). There just isn't much to get outraged by these days*. I'll dig through my articles on the computer and see if there's anything of interest.

I would, however, like to state that I have undergone something of a religious development. Initially, I was an agnostic. It was my hope and belief that there was some sort of beyond-world, where people could be held account for crimes for which they were not held on our world. I never knew what this 'beyond-world' was. It could be the classic Christian idea of heaven and hell. Equally, it could be the Hindu concept of reincarnation. I never went further then this belief.

But, since several days ago, I've begun to hunger for something more. The mere hope that there was something beyond us failed to satisfy me; I needed something more. I wanted more from this life. And through that convoluted process, I became an atheist.

Now there was a predictable plot twist.

Ultimately, I've come to the conclusion that hope in no way means belief. Some sort of beyond-world system of justice (whether this system is dictated by a deity or not is irrelevant. I've never believed in any sort of god) would be great, and it is something I still hope for. However, I've decided that without any observable evidence, this mystical beyond-world simply does not exist.

To finish, I'd like to show a picture I've always enjoyed-a type of futuristic shanty town. Courtesy of MeganeRid of DeviantArt, 'Top of Their World.'


*Perhaps I should start reading the Sun.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a deviantART account (of photography...nothing political). I don't hope for a God only because I feel uncomfortable with a higher being capriciously controlling all matter and the gravity. And whilst I know we treat animals like a hypothetical god might treat us (especially if it found out we were treating animals in the way we do), I think having a God would just confound humanity...we might have to rewrite Evolution and make several other adjustments....also, Richard Dawkin's head might just explode.

Private 'Baldrick' Tom said...

I see what you mean by not wishing for a god. I'm more concerned with how any god (baring a sadist) could allow for war, genocide etc. then any spirit claiming omnipotence.

I don't think evolution would need to be rewritten-even if god were proven, there is still no evidence of genetic engineering/intelligent design.

But many scientists would probably still find such a hypothetical proven god a mystery. Certainly, I can't comprehend a non-biological living entity that defies every law of thermodynamics and physics, whilst capable of actively defying all scientific laws and manipulating matter.

Your thoughts?

Anonymous said...

Now that you have come into the light of unbelief you can take comfort with the thought that if you find that you have any kind of continued existence after death You can be delighted to have been wrong, If you are right and death just leads non existence it wont matter.
;o)

Anonymous said...

If the Old Testament God is to be taken seriously, I think we'd expect more war, Tom. Besides, I don't think anyone with omnipresent power is good. Power corrupts.

I think you'd find that evolution would have to be rewritten; evolution is in direct conflict with creationism...though most sane and remotely knowledgeable people know that creationism is bollocks and belongs in Sewerage Container 5 at Werribee treatment plant.

Also, I'm going to quote one of your older posts on religion (Christianity) for my forum blog, NL thinking: www.nonlinearthinking.wordpress.com