Friday, June 19, 2009

The definitive top 10

GrodsOfficials Colonel Jester and Admiral Phoenix have both produced what they believe are the greatest ever songs. However, it is a well established fact that a lowly soldier whose blog is never commented on possesses the best taste in music. Hence, here are THE greatest songs ever produced (in no particular order). As a restriction, only songs written by the singers was allowed. Tough, but singers wailing about stuff they haven't written sounds somewhat hollow.

The Boxer - Simon and Garfunkel.

This is by far my favourite S&G song. The end chorus is brilliant, featuring violins and horns producing a sound greater than the sum of its parts.

A Man needs a Maid - Neil Young.

Further proof that violins make already perfect music even more so.

Calm like a Bomb - Rage Against the Machine.

Rage are a wicked band, and Bomb is a treat. Raw lyrics and a brutal guitar that would make Hendrix shit himself.

Stan - Eminem

A shocking, haunting song that reads more like a thriller. A fan of Eminem (Stan) becomes increasingly obsessed with his hero until tragedy strikes, and Em intervenes. There really is no fault to this song.

Sing for the moment - Eminem

Not just lyrically fantastic, but a great tune to boot. You need to examine the lyrics line for line, as there's a shitload in there.

When I'm gone - Eminem

If it seems as if almost a third of the songs being Eminem's cheapens the list, than that's simply because these songs are all that great. This is no different. Mathers sings/raps about a life in which his alter-ego Slim Shady has corroded his ideals and love for his family, which ends in a vicious argument between him and his daughter. It's a psychological Frankenstein; Mathers creates Shady, which takes over and ruin's Marshall's life. Eventually, Mathers, horrified by what Shady has done, decides to his alter-ego's life.

Earth Song - Michael Jackson

OK, I'm a Greenie, so it was kinda inevitable that I would enjoy this one. But it is EPIC.

We've had enough - Michael Jackson

Another humitarian from Jackon, and I think even better, not just for either the lyrics or melody, but the actual structure of the song itself. Most songs go "Verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus." This one is "Verse-verse-bridge-EPIC CHORUS."

Another Brick in the Wall (part 2) Live - Roger Waters.

There is only one way to appreciate this.

Across the Stars - John Williams

If I had the time, energy, talent, skill and desire, I could create the greatest ballet dance to this.

And because there are others - The runners-up:

They don't care about us - Michael Jackson.

A humanitarian-inspired song, but truly chilling. It features a cold military beat and a violin or two backing throughout the song (have I yet mentioned how great violins are?). The depressing reason why it was left off is because various idiots interpreted the lyric "Jew me sue, everybody do me. Kick me, kyke me, doncha black 'n' white me" as anti-Semitic. It's an obvious allusion to how Jews have been so heavily scapegoated in the past. Michael, sadly, caved into the said idiots, and played a couple of electronic noises over the words 'Jew' and 'kyke.' It may sound nitpicky, but it really does take away from the song.

Man in the Mirror - Michael Jackson.

Again, a fantastic humanitarian song with a spectacular finale. The only real reason why it couldn't be included in the top 10 is because Jackson didn't write it, hence it legally cannot make the top ten.

Desparados Under the Eaves - Warren Zevon

A truly kick-ass song with a Man needs a Maid-style ending.

When Doves Cry - Prince

A personal Prince favourite. Losing the bass guitar was one of the best decisions he made, creating a stark and original piece.

Maneater - Hall & Oates

A thousand and one times better than the remake (but that's still saying something). It gave something other than a run-of-the-mill guitar solo, which was rare for the 1980s.

Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty

Because saxaphones rock.

Billie Jean - Who else?

I know Michael gets a lot of coverage in this post, but you can't deny that this is a wicked song. Especially the intro.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm actually disturbed by how correct I was when I thought your post would be heavy on the MJ.

S&G, Neil, RatM - always awesome. Stan is just brilliant - my fave Eminem. Can only be bettered by Safran's pisstake.

Love Baker Street. And the Foo Fighters version is equally good (even though I know you don't deal with covers on the list.)

Private 'Baldrick' Tom said...

Did you watch the Waters link?

Michelle said...

Twice now. While I love The Wall, and would love to hear it live ... I'm not sure that I care that much about Pink Floyd.

Mind you, I'm not had a massive amount of exposure to their stuff.

Private 'Baldrick' Tom said...

I still consider the wall to be a waters album, as he wrote all the songs. But that's just me.

btw-did you see this (http://pacifistgrodssoldier.blogspot.com/2008/07/i-dont-need-12-tracks-to-create-great.html)?

Michelle said...

I'd forgotten about the muxtape thing. But Good Charlotte?????

Private 'Baldrick' Tom said...

That's a good song, I'll have you know. And it sounds even better in the muxtape.